I came up with the name when we were starting the band. I think the word caught my eye because it has mystic qualities to it. Also, the name doesn’t really restrict the musical styles we can utilize.
2) The band was first formed back in 2009 as a garage band. Give us a brief explanation on how the band was formed.
Me and couple of my friends wanted to start playing together. Actually, Asmo originally joined as a bassist but eventually moved to guitar when the other guys left. So, the original lineup lasted maybe a year and we did a demo recording called ‘Karelian Elegy’ during that time. Our style was melodic death metal even back then, albeit with more black metal influences than today.
3) Your first three released works were EPS… How was the writing and recording of those first Eps different then “Ordeal” that was released last August?
Well, throughout the years I’ve composed almost all of the material. This time the recording process had to be a bit more systematic because of the sheer size of the album. And I think for the first time in our history, we used a producer and tried to make the album as good as possible in the pre-production phase.
4) Atte and Asmo have been consistent forces of the band throughout the years. What has kept these two so solid working together?
Can’t really tell. We’ve been friends for almost ten years now, maybe our personalities work well together.
5) This new album Ordeal was out Aug 18th 2017 when did the writing process begin for it?
We’ve had the idea to make a full-length album for a long time. The original plan was to make it in 2016 but most of our band members left so that plan didn’t work out. But every cloud has a silver lining because the album wouldn’t have turned out to be so good if we would’ve released it back then.
6) How did you come up with the album title “Ordeal” and artwork?
A lot of things happened in my life during that time. Long story short, I reached the lowest point in my life when our band “broke up” in 2016. I didn’t feel I had a sense of purpose so I tried doing different things but nothing really felt like anything. Eventually I realized the only solution was to keep on fighting, and eventually we got our group together with a great sounding album in our hands.
So, in the end this hardship only made me realize what I really want to do in life; music.
7) What track is your favorite to play live?
Probaby ‘Shade of the Darker Sun’ because I like the energy of it, thus we usually play it last in our sets!
8) During album production, Eetu and Joel joined the band how quick did they get up to par?
Pretty fast. Eetu joined during the pre-production so there was plenty of time to catch up. Joel joined around 2-3 months before the release, so for him it was pretty easy too.
9) Back In 2017-2018 you played a show with Ensiferum how was it sharing the stage with them?
It was fun! I think the show with Ensiferum had our biggest audience to date.
10) Do you think pineapple should go on pizza?
Yes, pineapple and ham’s my favourite combo.
11) Lastly if a zombie apocalypse hit the world. Who in the band would get bit? And why?
Probably Asmo because he’d be late for the rescue helicopter (the joke is he’s always late for everything).